Affiliate Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase an item we recommend, we may get a small commission. Please read our full disclosure policy here for more details.
These days there are speed traps set up all over the roads. Whether it’s highways or parkways, heck, I’ve even come across speed traps in residential areas.
While utilizing this sneaky practice in residential areas and school zones are completely warranted and understandable (of course, we want to keep our kids safe), the overwhelming consensus is that the idea of them is underhanded, and the only thing they are there for is so that cops can write more tickets. It’s a disgusting practice really.
Luckily there is a way to detect these traps before a police officer is even able to register the speed of your vehicle on his radar gun. A radar detector is a handy little device that can recognize when the radar is in the vicinity and give you an audible warning so that you can act accordingly.
There are several different brands of radar detectors out there, each having its own strengths and weaknesses. Today, we will go over three of the best ones on the market and help you decide which is best for you.
Escort Passport 8500X50
Escort Passport 8500 X50 Radar Detector
1 used from $333.99
- Stay Informed - During an alert the 8500X50 displays all the information you need to make the best possible decision Vehicle Speed Laser Band and Signal Strength are displayed to keep you informed of your surroundings
- AutoSensitivity – Based on speed route and more this Passport detector continuously analyzes incoming signals and adjusts the sensitivity automatically while in the city or on the highway to eliminate false alerts
- Clear Audible Alerts - Allows hands free operation and crystal-clear communication Based on signal strength alerts will sound and occur faster as the signal strengthens allowing you to keep your eyes on the road without distractions
- Ultra Fast Protection - The Passport 8500 X50 warns you of all radar bands including conventional and instant-on X band K band and Superwide Ka band and POP Get the alerts faster with this escort radar detector and have more time to react
- Everything You Need - The 8500X50 Escort radar detector comes with a convenient travel case for wherever the road takes you a SmartCord for power and an Escort Radar Detector Windshield Mount for easy installation
A terrific product from a reputable company, this Escort radar detector is sure to please its owner. Check out some of its features
- 360-Degree laser and radar detection
- Operates on all frequency bands
- Ultra-bright matrix display
- High-resolution meter modes (three of them)
- Patented mute and automute functions
- Auto sensitivity mode
- It has three different levels of brightness, making it easy to see in the daytime and eliminates light distractions at nighttime.
- Advanced EZ-Programing allows you to customize the device to your individual driving preference.
- Provides warnings from extremely long ranges
- Gives protection on POP mode, X-band, K-band, and super-wide Ka-bands
- High-performance laser protection provides the user with maximum laser warning using superior off-axis protection
- POP alerts can be very difficult to successfully react to (often times you receive them too late, this is common with this feature)
- Very sensitive, and sometimes it goes off for little reason
- The screws on this product could be much sturdier than what they are
- Sometimes gives false signals in densely populated areas
Beltronics RX65-Red Professional Series Radar Detector
Beltronics RX65 Red Professional Series Radar/Laser Detector
- NEW VERSION - Beltronics RX65 Red Professional Series Radar/Laser Detector
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Virtually Eliminates False Alerts
- BONUS RadarMount Suction Cup Mount
- AUTO CALIBRATION circuitry
This is an extremely high-end radar detector that is able to give you an extraordinary level of protection. It can be optimized if you buy the upgrades for it.
- Smart cord transfers power from the vehicle as well as transferred signals for a mute command.
- Consistent firmware updates
- Immune to the VG-2 radar detection, this radar cannot be detected law enforcement (great for use in states where radar detectors are not legal)
- More than 50 verbal warnings and commands
- Text on front of the device so you can read the warnings
- Push one button on the smart cord to mute the radar (this is great for when you are parked in front of stores that have anti-theft detectors
- One-year limited warranty.
- Advanced auto scan processing eliminates false alerts and increases radar detection range.
- Consistent firmware updates to keep up with the new counter-measure technologies
- Upgrade capabilities, pair this with a laser jammer and become nearly immune to police radar guns.
- Learns false alerts and where they are so that it can automatically mute know false alert locations
- Laser bands can tend to give false alerts
- Suction cups sometimes come loose from the windshield
- It does tend to go off at automatic doors or anti-theft devices (this is why the smart cord with muting capabilities is included)
- The alarm is somewhat on the quiet side
Which product is best?
The product that stands up to testing the best is the “Beltronics RX65-Red Professional Series Radar Detector”. This is the best on the list for a variety of reasons, and the most important of them is the ability to detect radars.
The entire reason you get a radar detector is for just that, detecting radar, and the Beltronics outperformed the other two in this area.
Also, the upgrade feature on this product makes it a purchase that will be able to last you for several years down the road. The ability to update firmware means that it will be able to keep up with the radar detection technology for several years, making this a good investment.
The ultra-bright matrix display is super easy to read in sunlight, meaning this device is useful at all times. But even if you are unable to see the display, it has over 50 warnings and commands that will come through the speaker of the radar detector.
If you are in the market for a new radar detector, this Beltronics one is certain to be a lifesaver for you.