Affiliate Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase an item we recommend, we may get a small commission. Please read our full disclosure policy here for more details.
Although we by no means encourage driving beyond the speed limits, a radar detector can be a beneficial thing. For example, if you are driving in a new town and a road sign is not placed properly, you might run into a problem. Sometimes, the road ahead looks like you can go much faster, although you are not. That’s where radar detectors come in – to save you from getting a ticket.
These devices can “sense” if there are any speed meters nearby. However, as you might have guessed, not all of those devices are perfect. To save you from losing your money on low-quality devices, we have compiled a list to help you find the best motorcycle radar detector.
Best Motorcycle Radar Detector Reviews
Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 Radar and Laser Detector
Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 Radar/Laser Detector - One Size
1 used from $269.95
- Version 2.0 features increased detection sensitivity and 3 additional user modes compared to the original version Adaptiv detectors
- Specifically designed for motorcycle use, water, shock, and vibration resistant
- Detects all radar and laser bands and is certified by Speed Measurement Labs
- Audio and visual alerts
- Oversize, backlit control buttons, easy to operate, even with gloves on
This is a great, high-end device that combines a radar and laser detector in one. With great quality, useful features, and a special design for motorcycles, it’s the first detector that we should mention.
Most people wonder what the difference between radar and laser is. Laser, or LIDAR, uses advanced technology that allows police to check the speed of cars far away or a specific car in heavy traffic. LIDAR uses a narrow laser beam which is very hard to catch, and most of the detectors fail at that point; however, not this one.
Although some radar detectors can be used in different vehicles, this one is made primarily for motorcycles. Besides all the features that it has, it’s completely weather-protected, unlike most of the other radar detectors. It has an eight-foot-long control harness that is fixed to the detector and is entirely protected by a waterproof strain relief. A DIN connector is also weather-proof, and it allows you to remove TPX from the motorcycle. This detector is also vibration-resistant and shock-resistant, which makes it your ideal road companion.
It can detect all known radar and laser bands, and it even has a certification by Speed Measurement Labs. Also, if you wear headphones while driving, you can attach them to the device to get useful audio alerts. However, if the device is on your handlebar, you will notice that visual alerts are also simple to notice and read.
The buttons are a bit oversized compared to car radar detectors. However, it’s most probably made that way to allow you to use it easily, even with your gloves on. The buttons and the whole interface are very intuitive, so you will learn how to use it in literally a few minutes.
The only downside that we noticed about this device is that it’s not perfect for sports bike owners. The device is too big, and it won’t fit well on the bike. Also, if you are riding too fast, the medium-length range that this device provides might not be enough for you.
- Waterproof, weatherproof, and resistant to shock and vibrations
- Both radar and LIDAR detection
- Simple to install and use
- Not an ideal solution for sports bike owners
TPX A-01-01 Radar and Laser Detector
TPX A-01-01 Motorcycle Radar and Laser Detection System Version 2.0,1 Pack , Black
- Detects all police radar and laser bands
- 360 degree radar and laser protection
- Ultra-bright, adjustable LED alert included
- Detects all police radar and laser bands
Here, we have another high-end detector for both radar and laser devices. Similar to the previous one, it has a fantastic, compact design and is fairly easy to use. With its relatively affordable price, it’s definitely a detector that should be on this list.
The problem with some detectors is that the display is hard to read when riding in sunny conditions. If you are not carrying your headphones with you, the problem might be even bigger. However, you don’t have to worry about those issues with this device. It has an ultra-bright, adjustable LED display, which is excellent in any condition.
This detector is also entirely waterproof, and it can detect all known radar and laser bands in a 360-degree radius. Besides that, it features a special, top-rated sensitivity, so you can be completely relaxed while riding. There is no police radar or laser that will see you before you see them first.
Also, this radar and laser detector is incredibly simple to install and use. You don’t have to concentrate on the buttons or the interface while driving. The controls are very intuitive, and they will quickly become second nature to you.
The only problem that we found with this device is that it might fall off if you don’t mount it properly. It’s very easy to mount, but if you are doing so for the first time, you should make sure you have done everything correctly.
Besides that, we can conclude that this detector is more than good. It doesn’t have an incredibly high price tag like some similar devices do, and it offers great quality and features. It’s definitely worth your time and money.
- 360-degree radar and laser detection
- Ultra-bright LED display
- Top-rated sensitivity
- It might fall off if not mounted properly
Escort Passport 8500 X50
Escort Passport 8500 X50 Radar Detector – Extended Long Range, AutoMute, AutoSensitivity, Audible Alerts, Adjustable LED Display, Signal Strength Meter, Grey, 1.25"X2.85"X5.32"
- Stay Informed - During an alert the 8500X50 displays all the information you need to make the best possible decision Vehicle Speed Laser Band and Signal Strength are displayed to keep you informed of your surroundings
- AutoSensitivity – Based on speed route and more this Passport detector continuously analyzes incoming signals and adjusts the sensitivity automatically while in the city or on the highway to eliminate false alerts
- Clear Audible Alerts - Allows hands free operation and crystal-clear communication Based on signal strength alerts will sound and occur faster as the signal strengthens allowing you to keep your eyes on the road without distractions
- Ultra Fast Protection - The Passport 8500 X50 warns you of all radar bands including conventional and instant-on X band K band and Superwide Ka band and POP Get the alerts faster with this escort radar detector and have more time to react
- Everything You Need - The 8500X50 Escort radar detector comes with a convenient travel case for wherever the road takes you a SmartCord for power and an Escort Radar Detector Windshield Mount for easy installation
This detector is a nice solution for all motorcyclists. It’s small, convenient, lightweight, and has an easy-to-read LED display in red color. Besides all that, it’s very affordable, and if you are not looking for a high-tech detector, this one might be your best choice.
It can’t detect every single laser band but will detect most of the bands that police use, as well as Ka, K, and X bands. A nice thing about this device is that it comes with programmable options, allowing you to customize built-in features.
For example, you can start automatically when you start the engine or change sensitivity settings depending on whether you drive on a highway or in a city. Also, if you are driving in sunny conditions, you can always switch to a dark mode or make it switch automatically.
Most similar devices have a problem detecting things like a broadcast signal from a radio, therefore triggering a so-called false alarm. However, you won’t have similar problems with this device. It will automatically increase and decrease sensitivity to reduce the number of false alarms maximally.
You probably already know that many police departments now use VG-2 devices that can locate vehicles with radar detectors. However, don’t worry – this device has built-in protection that keeps it safe from VG-2 devices. You can freely ride anywhere you want without the fear of being caught while using a detector.
Most radio detectors will trigger an alarm when they identify radio or laser devices. The problem is that you don’t know how far away the police are. This detector will flash differently depending on how close you are to the radar. When you are close, it will flash faster and brighter.
There are some small yet noticeable downsides to this product. The first worrying thing about it is that the company stopped making the 8500 X50, so they stopped offering any support for this item. Another thing to note is that it lacks a voice alert feature that most new radar detectors have. Other than that, keeping its price in mind, this device is definitely worth a try.
- Programmable options
- Automatic sensitivity adjustment
- VG-2 protection
- Lack of voice alarm
Uniden DFR7 Super Long Range Radar Detector
Uniden DFR7 Super Long Range Radar Detector with GPS Bundle with 1 Year Extended Protection Plan
- Uniden Super Long Range Radar Detector with GPS
- IN THE BOX: Radar Detector - Case - Power Cable - Mounts
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Uniden Super Long Range Radar Detector with GPS
- 1 Year Extended Protection Plan in ADDITION to the Included FULL Manufacturer WARRANTY
This radar detector from Uniden is definitely the best option for drivers on a budget or novice drivers. It has a GPS function, which is rare at this price range. It is definitely an excellent device for the price.
The first thing to notice about this device is its astonishing design. It seems like this device was derived straight from the Batmobile. It’s completely black with a nice, sharp display. All the buttons are placed perfectly for the simplest use, and the display is easy to read.
As the name implies, one of the main features of this device is its super long-range detection. You will be informed of the radar from almost a mile away, which is more than enough time to reduce your speed. Also, you should note that, in many small towns, police use outdated radars, which new radar detectors can’t detect. However, DFR7 detects them with ease. Another great thing is that the built-in GPS is insanely accurate, no matter where you are.
With this device, you will also be safe from red-light cameras that take a picture as you speed through them. You will be immediately alerted when approaching one. Also, if you are riding above the speed limit in the current location, thanks to the built-in GPS, you will be notified. However, if you wish, you can turn it off.
On the other hand, we should mention that the voice alarms could be better. The problem is that they are a bit on the louder side, even at maximum speeds.
- Some handy suction cups are included.
- The display is very bright and extremely easy to read
- Built-in GPS
- It might be a little too big for some motorcycles
Escort IX Radar and Laser Detector
ESCORT IX Laser Radar Detector - Auto Learn Protection, Extreme Long Range, Bluetooth, Voice Alerts, OLED Display, Escort Live, Black
- Auto Learn Technology - Radar detection customized to your driving style! Gps intelligence, IVT filtering, and autosensitivity come together to eliminate false alerts by learning your route and varying sensitivity with vehicle speed.
- Clear Voice Alerts - Unique voice warnings allow hands free operation and crystal clear communication. Based on your speed, alerts are tailored to fit your location and movement allowing you to keep your eyes on the.
- Escort Live App - Know what lies on the road ahead! Join our community of drivers and enthusiasts that share and receive over 100 million alerts every year - Red light and speed camera locations, speed limits, live traffic updates and police Radar.
- Speedalert - The iX provides all of the information you need to make the best possible decision when you need it most. Vehicle speed, Laser band, and signal strength are all displayed to fully inform you of alerts.
- Everything You Need - The iX Escort radar detector comes with a convenient travel case for wherever the road takes you, a SmartCord USB (with AutoMute) for power, and a EZ Mag Escort Radar Detector Mount for easy installation.
This is an amazing, high-tech detector for people who want to pay a bit more and receive excellent quality. It’s the most expensive detector on the list, but it is worth every cent.
Let’s start by mentioning that it has incredible Autolearn Technology. The device uses the power of GPS and the exact frequency to learn and remember all the false alerts from special, in-vehicle technology sources. If you are tired of constant false alarms throughout the city, this device is the best solution. Besides that, it can detect radars in a 360-degree radius.
Escort IX comes with more than 1,000 pre-loaded locations, so you can stay ahead of threats as they increase. With Escort Live, you can even add your own “hot spots” and create a specific database. That way, you will have protection wherever you go.
Another thing to mention is that this device has very clear voice alerts. Alerts are tailored to fit your location and movement, and unique voice warnings allow a completely hands-free operation so that you can keep your eyes on the road with no distractions.
This device basically provides all the necessary information that you need to make the best possible decisions while driving. All of the information, such as your speed, signal strength, and laser band, are displayed when the alarm is triggered. Essentially, this device has everything that you need if you are looking for a great radar and laser detector.
The only bad thing is that it might take some time to adjust and stop displaying false alarms when riding through the city. However, even those false alarms are rare.
Read the full review here.
- Amazing design
- Very clear voice alerts
- Bright, sharp, and intuitive display
- Possible false alarms when riding through the city
Choosing the Winner
The fact is that all of the devices that we have listed are great – after all, that’s why they are on the list. However, there might be only one winner when it comes to the ratio of price and quality. Since we have to choose the best from the list, we choose Escort IX.
The truth is that the Escort IX is the most expensive option, but it is absolutely incredible. It works like a charm and gives all the necessary and useful information when it detects a radar. Besides that, it uses Autolearn Technology that uses an extremely precise, built-in GPS function. Every single feature of this detector is amazing.
However, if this device is too expensive for you, there are a few good alternatives. For example, the Radenso XP Reader is a perfect choice that offers the same great quality and costs a little less. It has built-in GPS technology and is very precise. Also, you might want to check out the other radar detectors made by Radenso. They are also very good and cost less.
If you are still wondering whether to buy a radar detector or not, keep in mind that it usually pays off after a few tickets. It is a very useful device that you should have, and you can not go wrong by getting any of these that are on this list.